Gardening: Tomato plants progress in the past 2 months

2 months ago, we bought 6 pallets from Florida Pallet to make raised pallet beds and filled them with Miracle Grow garden soil and Top Soil with a 1 to 6 ratio.


We filled one bed with tomato and bell pepper plants.



I also bought 5 upside down tomato planter for $5 each on Ebay.


We filled them up with potting soil, placed my tomato plants inside and hung them.


These were the tomato plants I had before replanting them on the raised bed and upside down planter.


Right after replanting them...


A week after (keep in mind that this is about a month ago)


 Then Hurricane Irma came and nearly destroyed my plants. Most survived but my bell pepper plants took a big hit and I had to trim them down. My tomato plants were fine.


After giving them a good trim.




During the hurricane, we stored the hanging tomato plants and all my plants that isn't on pallet beds in our closet & bathrooms and left the lights on. Thankfully the hurricane shifted to the west and did not hit us as hard as we expected it to be. We packed and stayed in Gainesville for a few days and came home to a good condition house. I kid you not, my mail and package that was sent before the hurricane hit was still outside my gate. My neighbor mentioned that the lights went out for a few hours but that was it.

This is 1 of my hanging tomato plants. Although only some of my tomato plants on the pallet beds are flowering (but keep drying up probably because of the intense heat and sunlight we get here), I'm happy to say that all my hanging tomato plants are flowering and this particular one already has baby tomatoes.


Are you able to spot all 7 baby tomatoes?


Side note: I will have to read more about Indian River County Master Gardener Program to see if that is something I'm interested in. Another article to read is the Florida Vegetable Gardening Guide.

Comments

Popular Posts