Happy Mid-Autumn Festival to everyone back home



2017 has been a year of many new beginnings for me. One of which would be my relocation from NYC to Florida with my boyfriend. Moving here has given me the luxury to not be consistently stressed out about money and the opportunity to focus on having a better quality of living. Apart from the hurricane fright, which had us pack and unpack all our items for the 3rd time within 3 months and eczema pain that started when I moved here, I think it's safe to say that I'm generally content and comfortable (in a good way) with my life here.

Since moving to Vero Beach on July 1st, I have been able to focus a bit more on personal growth and after experimenting with a few things, I have decided to focus on 2 things that I didn't even realize I love doing. 

1. Gardening. 
I started growing bell pepper and tomato plants about 2 months ago and the tomato plants are not only flowering but turning it's turning into baby tomatoes. Oh, the joy of seeing the fruits of my labor is so satisfying. I am also honestly surprised that my plants survived Hurricane Irma. I will be doing more extensive research on how to grow healthy plants. My goal is to plant all the vegetables that we eat daily such as bell peppers, garlic, onion, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, spinach and much more.

Another side hustle/project that I would like to get into is to sell succulent plants online via FB groups. Step 1 is to learn how to propagate them and learn how to package them well enough so that it will not get destroyed on the way to the buyer. I know how unkind the postmen can be towards packages. I have also done a few exchanges with people from the FB groups who send me cuttings from their plants while I mail them my 3 to 6-inch tall lemon trees. Some of them are growing roots and I'm excited to see them grow. Oh, and my herb garden is beginning to come together and looking good. I'm excited to add more to the collection.

2. Cooking.
I try to cook something different every day for dinner. Most of the time, it's very simple and we seem to grill quite a lot pizza lately since we were gifted a large Webber kettle grill from a very generous lady I've met through a friend. The best thing about my homecooked meal is that I get to cook the vegetables from the garden, especially fresh herbs.  

I've decided that this blog would be my journal for daily gardening (and side hustle) and cooking experiments as a part of my journey to living sustainably. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts